I was so excited. I had nearly finished- all that was left to do was finish the hem and apply bias to the bodice (instead of a facing). But then I noticed this:
The offending fabric is a viscose that was bought for $2/m from Darn Cheap Fabrics. Despite its tendency to disintegrate under pressure, it really is a lovely fabric. I have heaps left to play around with and have been thinking that a pretty, flowy skirt might be nice for summer. Anyway, lesson learned for next time.
The thing that really gets me about this failure is the time that I spent printing the fabric. Houuuuuuurs and houuuuuurs!! (And lots of sore knees :p) I printed it using masking tape spaced at irregular gaps that I then painted over using screen printing ink.
I really love the effect and am so bummed that this didn’t work out because it was such a pretty dress :(